11 February 2022
Upcoming Event: Benefits And Risks Of Emerging Technologies And The GDPR
On Wednesday, 16 February 2022, from 19:00-20:30, CyberSec4Europe, in collaboration with Trust in Digital Life and the Representation of the State of Hessen to the EU, is organising an evening panel discussion on the topic of ‘Benefits and risks of emerging technologies and the GDPR’.
It is increasing apparent that the corporate world’s endeavours to ensure the security of all its assets coexist with the legal and ethical imperative to provide adequate and compliant protection of their customers’ data are in danger of having to compromise on both fronts. An example is whether the restrictions on the use of biometrics in upcoming regulations are too harsh. It should be in everyone’s interests to maximise the opportunities offered by technology against the risks.
This evening’s panel will explore the issues and concerns arising from the emergence of new technologies and the rights of individuals concerning the protection of personal data as enshrined in the GDPR. In other words, if there is a challenge in making artificial intelligence, blockchain, and future Internet of Things and 5G/6G network technologies compliant with security and privacy by design requirements, then it should be addressed sooner rather than later. Looking ahead, we should already be considering the impact of post-quantum cryptography on privacy – and understanding how we can leverage any innovative technology to be compliant with data protection and privacy regulations.
18.45 Event opens
- Uwe Becker, Secretary of State for European Affairs of the State of Hessen
- Kai Rannenberg, Trust in Digital Life Director and CyberSec4Europe Lead
19.10 Panel Discussion: Benefits and risks of emerging technologies and the GDPR
- Wojciech Wiewiórowski, European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS)
- Irina Orssich, Head of Sector AI Policy, DG CONNECT, European Commission
- Lars Bruckner, Director, EU Public Affairs Office, NEC Laboratories Europe GmbH
- Vincenzo Tiani, Partner, Panetta Law Firm, Brussels
- More to be announced!
- David Goodman, Trust in Digital Life Association
20.30 Session ends
Participation is free of charge, but please register in advance https://eu.hessen.de/CyberSec4EuropeEveningEvent.